Mohawk College (Fennell Campus), Hamilton, ON
Principal Instructor: Brendan Seaton, Founder & Chief Creative Officer, Privacy Horizon Inc.; President, ITAC Health
Fred Carter, Senior Policy Advisor, Officer of the Ontario Information & Privacy Commissioner
Patrick Lo, CEO, Privacy Horizon Inc.
Dave Rajnauth, Senior Consultant, GRA Consultants Inc
Earn CPE credits at the workshop: PACC - 1 credit; IAPP - 1 credit/hour; HIM CPE - 1 credit/hour; 1 CEU/hour towards CPHIMS-CA
App developers are driving innovation in the new economy. New ideas, new technologies, and new applications developed by start-up, small and medium-sized companies are flooding the healthcare marketplace. Much of the innovation is at the front end of technology including mobile, social media, the Internet of Things (IoT), wearables and medical devices.
On the back end, small start-up companies are starting to accumulate mountains of personal information in their cloud-based systems. This information has value. There is a tremendous impetus to “monetize” this data as part of the start-up business model.
Privacy always emerges as a question to be answered by app developers and start-up companies in the healthcare space. Privacy and security controls are often mandatory requirements for health sector procurements. How can app developers and start-ups address the privacy concerns of patients, healthcare providers, clients and service providers while staying lean and agile in their development practices?
This workshop will cover critical privacy legislation, conducting a privacy risk assessment, assessing what privacy and security features to build into your products and services, implementing an affordable privacy management program and handling a privacy breach.
- How to apply the principles of Privacy by Design
- How to determine what privacy legislation applies to you and your customers
- How to conduct a privacy impact assessment
- How to determine what privacy and security features need to be built into your products and services
- How to implement a privacy management program that you can afford
- What to do in the event of a privacy breach
- Mobile app, IoT and cloud developers
- Start-up executives and staff
- Customer experience personnel
- Sales and marketing specialists
- Academic faculty, staff and students involved in app development
- Incubators and accelerators
- Investors and Board Directors
- Government officials responsible for the healthcare or innovation agendas
"Privacy and security are critical considerations in developing health informatics software. NIHI's workshops provided invaluable training and insights, which have informed my approach to this complex topic"
- Jesse Peterson - eHealth Software Developer - MEDIC @ IDEAWORKS
Privacy & Access Council of Canada
Canada's Health Informatics Association
Canadian Healthcare Technology
The Canadian Health Information Management Association
|ITAC & ITAC Health
Information Technology Association of Canada